Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Drunk Text

It's 11pm on a weekend night in Stillwater. My friends and I make the march to the Strip. Slowly the group disperses to socialize. At 1am, everyone heads to Murphy's and the magic starts to happen. There's something about those palm trees that makes people make bad decisions. The first bad decision starts with the cell phone. Let the drunk texting begin. About 1am texts usually read something like "hey where are you?" or "hey where you headed after this?"

Then the jello shots come into the picture. There's nothing attractive about squeezing those colorful syringes in someone else's mouth, but yet that seems to be the acceptable greeting at Murphy's. "Oh hey, (insert name) I haven't seen you since last time I was Murphy's, have some of my colorful jello." The night just keeps getting better.

Then I see the sign. You know, the one on that white board with glowing lights around it. It says the magic words, "drink specials." 7 and 7 for $3.25? Heck yes I'd like one, Sweet Caroline! So good, so good, soo good.

The drunk texting takes another round. I check my phone and see, "hmm...welyou shoud cum ovr laterrrrr" or "wel I lve to cee you toightt." Translations: "hmm... well you should come over later" or "well I'd love to see you tonight"

This next part is my favorite part of Murphy's. Do you ever find yourself holding hands with the person next to you and either A. Can't remember their name for the life of you or B. Think what am I doing holding their hand??... oh no!!, this will be awkward tomorrow, hope no one sees this. Then I hear the cue. Ba ba dadada. All those worries go away. I huddle around with everyone around me and sing and dance the heck out of New York, New York. Closing time comes way too soon and I check my phone to call my friends so we can walk home together. My phone then has 7 messages.
roomie 1: "hey see you tomorrow, I left, don't hate me. bye."
roomie 2: "he picked me up, i'll be home later"
roomie 3: "everyone left me!! Where are you?"
roomie 4: "I went to the Penny, see you at subway sunday"
Guy who I was holding hands with: "hy whre are you heade 2niggt?" - translation "Hey where are you headed tonight?"
Skizz: "come over" (only to find out the next day, it was a mass text to all the girls in his phone book. I always wonder what happens to this boy, because what if four girls came over?)
and finally...
Boy who shared jello shot: "hey where'd you go?"

Don't even get me started on the post-bar drunk dialing. Texts become indecipherable and the scrolling through the contacts begins.

Point of the story: If you really were interested in someone, use the hours between 11am and 8pm to contact them. Maybe invite them out for a coke or even some ice cream. When you are the subject of Subway Sunday (because don't worry, you will be), do you want to be the drunk, slutty boy that we make fun of or the gentleman that followed up the next morning?

2 comments:

  1. I'm still undecided on which guy I would rather be. Either way, I'm making it a point to be the topic of more Subway Sunday conversations. Let the games begin.

    -Shep

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya shep, you should definitely make that a goal. You haven't been a topic of convo since this summer ;) haha love you.

    ReplyDelete